Monday, May 23, 2011

Sascha Brastoff

Sascha Brastoff Ceramics Factory

Apologies for the lack of updates. I've been really busy lately and every time I decide to post an update Blogger starts acting up and I can't seem to log in or post anything. Today things seem to working just fine around here so I thought I'd quickly share a link to an article I recently wrote for TCM's Classic Movie Blog titled "In Search of Sascha Brastiff" where I discuss the life and work of this talented mid-century artist & designer.

- In Search of Sascha Brastoff

Sascha Brastoff

I really admire his work and I've started looking for Brastoff pieces when I'm out thrifting and antiquing. Below are some pictures of the Sascha Brastoff items I own.

Sascha Brastoff Bowl

Sascha Brastoff Fish


I also decided to start a Sascha Brastoff Collectors Group over at Flickr where I've uploaded a lot more photos of Brastoff and his work. If you're a Flickr member please consider joining! At the moment I'm the only member but I know there has to be other Brastoff fans out there.

7 comments:

  1. I love the images in this post! That ad with the titular designer peeking through the knick knack shelf is SO GREAT....! Keeping an eye out for his work now, thanks for the hot tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kimberly,
    I am surprised we haven't already met (I'm all over the net and easily accessible.) I wrote Sascha's biography and currently have the largest and most diverse collection of his work on the planet (not to mention those other collections I've helped start and fuel while upgrading my own.) Feel free to write me sometime.

    All the best,
    Steve Conti
    biographer of "Collector's Encyclopedia of Sascha Brastoff
    timmy724@yahoo.com

    ps - check your header over the Sascha ad slick - a simple typo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the post, Lisa! I had fun learning about Brastoff and his work. It's always a blast discovering a new artist that I admire and he's done some amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Steve! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I actually mentioned your book and an article of yours that I found online in my own short piece about Brastoff. Your collection sounds amazing! I only just discovered his work a few weeks ago so I'm still learning about him. He was fascinating man. Thanks again for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kimberly!

    I recently discovered Sascha when I acquired 6 gold Ming plates. Since then, I've become an almost obsessive collector. Can't wait to join your Flikr group.

    Warmest regards,

    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have ownly recently discovered Sascha Brastoff too. What a talent!!! I am sure that one day he will be as well known as Picasso, Calder and Miro. I had no idea there were so many fans of his work. I regrefully just placed a Sascha Brastoff trinket box for sale on Ebay. It's from the Persian line and is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just inherited a Sascha Brastoff lamp and ashtray. My mother was a huge fan of his and cherished her Brastoff pieces.

    ReplyDelete

 

Mid-Century Living Original Content Copyright © 2009-2012 Blog design by Kimberly Lindbergs Based on a template by Ipietoon