Friday, October 9, 2009

Color Is Busting Out All Over!

Lately I've been thinking a lot about commonly used mid-century colors and color combinations. Unlike many home owners today, mid-century home owners were not afraid of color. They used color to brighten up the outside of their homes as well as the inside.

I recently came across a great article about color and its many uses in an old issue of Better Homes & Gardens from 1955 that I found really inspiring. It has some great tips and suggestions that still seem incredibly modern and always ahead of their time. I hope some blog readers will find the article as interesting as I did. Just click on the images to see them full size.







2 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Squeal! I just found your blog through Flickr - the RetroRenovation pool! Much to my amazement and delight, I see I'm on your blogroll. Your header and background are delicious! You must make a coordinating blog button right away so I can add it to my sidebar! (I'm kinda a sucker for blog buttons)

    These images are just the kind of thing I love to find on other people's blogs - such a treasure trove of inspiration and information. I love things that are surprises to me - like the curtains here that are tab-tops or on rings! I thought everything was pinch pleat in this era! Kinda nice to know you could go with the simplicity of one of these styles and still be period correct. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the nice comments about my blog, Tikimama! I really enjoy your own blog and I'll try to create one of those "blog buttons" this week so I can exchange them with people.

    I'm glad you enjoyed the color article too. I was also really surprised by the curtains and I love all the color combos and patterns they put together. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Mid-Century Living Original Content Copyright © 2009-2012 Blog design by Kimberly Lindbergs Based on a template by Ipietoon